Now to the temples…
Imagine walking down a pathway, bordered by giant deity-chiseled stone figures and surrounded by a primeval moat that keeps outsiders away from the precious estate. Each stone figure towers over you, making you feel insignificant compared to the god-like warriors of this ancient kingdom. The pathway leads you to a gate that not even the most powerful of armies can ascend as it seems to rise as tall as the heavens. The pinnacle, mountain tiered towers that line the tops of the barrier display the transcendent and looming design of a well-defined mystical face. You are now entering the South Gate of the Khmer kingdom.
We explored several temples, some of which I’m still mixing up. Here are some of the temples that I can remember:
Angkor Bayon. This temple is well known for the multitude of well-maintained stone faces on its steep towers. There are 54 towers alone in this temple, each of them presenting four Buddhist-looking faces. So there are over 200 faces that can be seen within the ruins. Another rumor is that the face is actually a combination of the famous King Jayavarman VII’s face and Buddha. Another important feature of this temple is the elaborate carvings, displaying real-life war scenarios. This temple, along with many others, is supposed to represent the universe. Its immense facility represents the entirety of the universe, the towers represent the mountains and the landforms, and the moat around the temples represents the water from the oceans.
Tomb Raider Temple. Ta Phrom is well known for its role in the movie Tomb Raider, a reason it is also called the Tomb Raider temple. This temple is completely surrounded by a jungle like forest. Vegetation tightly encircles the ruins and trees rhythmically spiral around the stone walls and pinnacles. This temple was originally built by one of the Khmer kings as a tribute to his mother. It later became a Buddhist monastery and education center. This temple was magical looking. Stones of the broken structure seem almost deliberately placed upon each other in a disorderly manner. But it works despite its chaotic looking appearance. The chaos makes it look more rugged and tough. One momentous attribute of this structure are the trees that grow from the roofs of the temples. As the tree’s height exceed the elevation of most temple structures, its roots dangle from the rooftops and are submerged deep into the ground. Legend has it that a spiritual bird dropped a seed onto the roof of the building, causing the tree to start growing, even from such an odd location and environment.
One thing I’ve noticed about this site, and many others in Asia, is the relaxed regulations. If this structure was in the States, you wouldn’t be able to climb in or around it and everything would be closed off with gates and posted signs with disclaimers. Especially with ruins, not everything is perfectly upright or even in its build. Random bumps, unleveled surfaces, and protruding rocks and ledges jutting out are quite typical when you are walking around, let alone climbing. You can easily trip on every other step. I know I’ve never stumbled over my feet this much in my life. I’ve eaten it already too many times and I’ve had some food causalities when bringing my meals home.
These kids were so cute, despite their quick and random transitions back into robots. They seemed very interested in me, as I was with them. I was in such disbelief that there English was as good as it was. Maybe it’s because it’s a tourist town. People know that they can survive and do well if they learn English. They are motivated. I wish my kids were more motivated. I found out some interesting information regarding school in Cambodia. Many Khmer kids do go to school but they only go for half days. So there are morning classes and afternoon classes. Some students will go to regular school in the morning and then head to another school to learn English in the afternoon. But sometimes, it becomes discouraging to go to school at all since resources are not provided. If a student wants to use a textbook, they have to purchase it themselves. It is supposedly a crooked system since the teacher ends up pocketing the money. I guess their salary is extremely low so they rationalize. Just like every other country—a low salary for an essential and respected job. I didn’t actually get this information from the kids. Although I’m sure they could have relayed a similarly complex message with their English skills.
Person Highlight
I met Milan on a tour of the Angkor temples. She is an American woman with a meek and pleasant demeanor. She was originally from the Bay Area (yea-a!) and after a short vacation in Japan, she fell in love with the country and moved there permanently. Just like me, she moved there to work as a teacher. After a year or so, she found herself at an international school fair and was picked up immediately by an excellent international school in Tokyo. She became the school’s art teacher, as she studied art throughout college. She has been there for almost seven years now. Within the first week of living in Japan, she started dating a Japanese man who she is still currently with. They will probably get married I presume. She is planning to live in Japan for a long time as she loves her job, her man, and the Japanese culture and food.
She was very interesting to talk to and very knowledgeable about teaching and Asian cultures. She has traveled to Southeast Asia quite a bit in her work abroad. I’m jealous. I’ve been thinking about working at an international school. Based on her experiences, it seems like international schools have more structure and more student support. Maybe that kind of program is more for me since I’m progressively despising the ‘all students pass’ concept even more. She gave me some advice about finding international schools around the Asian continent. Supposedly, Japan, Korea, and many other countries will set a teacher up pretty well. While providing you great housing, salary, and full support, they will even fly you out to the country and ship your belongings if needed. I don’t think Thai schools would do that. But I never know. I should start doing some research on international schools. Maybe this will be my new path. Would anyone miss me if I stayed another year?
New Years. I’ve never been too interested in New Years. I don’t know why. I don’t have any type of fascination or draw to the holiday. Maybe it’s because I’ve always been too tired to stay awake, had long distance relationships, or had to work late hours on this day. I also think some of the traditions that come along with this day are silly. Who came up with the New Year’s kiss idea? I guess I’m not a big fan. I don’t think I ever really was. But then again, I’m not a fan of Valentine’s Day, anniversaries, flowers, big romantic gestures, small romantic gestures, those make-you-want-to-cringe romantic scenes they always put in even the manliest movies, opening doors… The list can go on.
But maybe the New Year’s kiss is not really as romantic of a gesture as it can be a quick kiss with a complete stranger many times. When I was in high school, I actually didn’t know what the New Year’s kiss was. For example, this one time I was innocently talking to a drunken college guy at a New Year’s high school party. When the clock struck midnight, he took my face and tried to place his lips on mine. I was completely appalled. I shoved him off and yelled at him for a bit. Then, I went off and vented to my friend who explained that was supposed happen since it was the New Years. I was still upset and disgusted. He didn’t even ask for my permission. Gross.
I also never set up any New Year’s resolutions. It’s not like I don’t like to make personal goals. Trust me; I’m definitely a goal maker. But to me, resolutions seem like a momentary excuse to make someone feel better for the time being. It gives people the sense of purpose and convinces them that they are bettering their lives in some way. For me, I figure if I’m not doing it already, it’s probably not going to happen. I know these resolutions do work for some and even contribute to a more productive mentality. But for me, I know I that I need to make goals when I’m inspired to do so, not just because it is the start of a new year. I work much harder to achieve my goals then. If I’m doing it just because it is New Year’s, I’m setting expectations that I might not be ready or willing to achieve.
A Better Year to Come. This year was not the best and I know a few others who can agree with this statement. Too much drama, too little sleep, and way too much crying. Too many bad things in a row. Too many stressful things at the same time. Though I have developed intellectually through school and life experiences, I have also increasingly become more immature in the last year. I know that sounds strange to backtrack like that. I used to be very mature and straight-edged and I was always very proud of being all grown-up. I still believe I’m a pretty mature person and I’m very mindful of myself (most of the time) and others (sometimes).
But I think I craved the feeling of danger and lack of inhibition. This feeling was one that I never let myself fall into in the past. So I tried to be the wild girl that I never was in high school and college and got into some trouble from it. Don’t worry parents, not anything major—just a little mental and public humiliation. Also, I was dealing with drama from badgering neighbors, health concerns, poolside stalkers, and of course, the inevitable boy issues while going through an already grueling graduate program. It was way too much to handle.
Nevertheless, I’ve had some wonderful moments as well. I’ve met and grown closer to some amazing people. And I’m so happy that you all are in my life. I was lucky enough to meet some of the most adorable heart-wrenching kids from my school. Though, I didn’t end up getting a teaching job in the States, I made great networks and had some skin toughening experiences from the program and job search. I have progressed in volleyball and have grown closer to my wonderful teammates. Despite my continuous rants about restaurant work, this year has been the best yet. Though money was tight, I have grown closer to each and every workmate. I actually enjoyed going to work every day because of them. As the cherry on top of it all, I am traveling around Asia now. Not a bad deal at all. Maybe it wasn’t that bad of a year.
Still, I hope that 2012 will be a better year for me and all of you out there. Happy New Years!
No comments:
Post a Comment