Thursday, November 17, 2011

Airport Issue #2

November 16

Remember the issue I had flying into Korea? Remember how they wouldn’t let me bring my second luggage on board? Well, here we go again. But this time I was ready for it. Or so I thought. Right before I headed to the airport, I found documents allowing me to bring two pieces of check-in luggage with me throughout Asia. Most Asian airlines only allow for travelers to check in one piece of luggage. However, according to an IATA regulation, there is an exception for travelers beginning their trip from the United States. Since my origin started in the States, I should be able to bring both the bags I came in with.  My mother was able to fax these particular documents to my hotel’s front desk so I can start prepping for my case. 

I approached the counter and gave the airline counter employee my passport. Things seem to be going pretty smoothly. Once I placed my bags on the belt, the employee told me that I was going to be charged for the extra bag. I calmly reached into my bag and pulled out my documents. I stated my argument in a polite and subtle way, I believe. It took the employee about 10 minutes to understand what I was trying to argue for. So he ended up calling his supervisor since he didn’t seem to understand my English too well. I began talking to the airline manager about my situation, letting her know of the IATA regulation. She was very friendly as she told me that the IATA regulation doesn’t apply for airlines departing from their airport. I was confused by this statement since my documents told me otherwise. Since both she and I was stubborn and didn’t want to give in, we calmly argued for a while. I say calmly because there was no yelling or real anger involved. We were both just very frustrated. She kept on telling me that certain airlines have different rules and I kept informing her of my sudden travel situation and that my origin was from the States. We spoke in circles as we didn’t get anywhere. I was even thinking of disposing a bag at this point.

Though her English was pretty good, you could tell she was getting frustrated as she struggled to understand my English. After an hour of arguing, I was so exhausted that I did something kind of bad. I decided to use my English skills against hers. I started to speak faster and used more complicated words, trying to confuse and frustrate her enough so she would just let me bring two bags on board. And it worked! She started to stumble over her words and kept referring back to some of her co-workers for advice. She finally stated, “Since this is a special situation, we will let you go with two bags this time.” Bingo! My plan worked. I’m such a bad person but at least I’m now off to China with all my stuff.

After getting my boarding pass, I rushed over to my gate hoping I would make my flight. I couldn’t believe this was happening again. At least, I have only one more flight to worry about, China to Taiwan. It should be a breeze after that. I finally got onto the plane just in the nick of time and plopped down in my seat. I was so stressed and mentally drained. I closed my eyes and prepared myself for a less stressful adventure in China.

No comments:

Post a Comment