For a couple of weeks, I have been hearing of the flood in Thailand. Both my parents were worried for me and they kept on telling me not to go. But I have intentionally ignored the warnings. If I took everything my parents worried about to heart and made decisions based on them, I would never go anywhere or do anything. So I just assumed it will soon go away.
Since the beginning of my trip, my mother has been terrified of me traveling to Thailand. She contacted her friend who lived in Thailand for a while to gather more information about the country. This same guy has been forwarding emails to my mom and me regarding Thai culture, food, and people. So far these emails have been very helpful and I’ve appreciated his effort and attention to detail. Especially his comments about drug trafficking in Thailand and the death penalty sentence one would get when involved with drugs. Not that I’m a recreational drug user or even an experimental user but this was helpful information to me since even helping someone pick up their luggage from the airport conveyer belt can get you a long term sentence in the Thai jail system.
On the night of my going away party, I received an email from this same guy regarding the flood increasing in Thailand and how cities were being evacuated, including Bangkok (which is where my training is supposed to occur for the first 2-3 weeks). I was at a somewhat drunken state, so I started showing everyone this email on my phone. I was playfully joking that I won’t be able to go to Thailand anymore and that this going away party was a sham and a way to get people to hang out with me.
I was a bit nervous about this email so I contacted my ATI program director about the flood concerns the next day. She explained to me that the teacher training in Bangkok was still starting on November 7th and the floods have not affected the training center and schools. My parents were concerned since my information guy was forwarding all his emails to them as well. So I thought I calmed their nerves a bit by letting them know some basic information about the flood. I guess it wasn’t enough.
One day, I received an email from the ATI program director responding to several emails my mother sent without my knowledge. They were emails concerned for my safety and asking for the importance of my visit. One question my mother asked was: “Do you even need English teachers over there?” I was livid. This trip was my own. I’ve been planning and funding it myself from the beginning. And I am old enough and responsible enough to manage on my own, without my parents holding my hand every step of the way. I knew my parents haven’t supported me from the start so I knew that this was just a way to try to get me out of the Thailand trip. I told my mom that I didn’t want her contacting my director anymore. She reluctantly agreed.
That same day, I received an email from the director telling me that I was placed on another training schedule starting on November 28th because of these concerns. Again, I was furious! The director must have thought that my parents’ wishes were the same as mine and made a decision based on my mom’s concerns. I can’t wait three weeks to start training. I just bought a very expensive, non-refundable ticket to Bangkok. This would mean that I would have to purchase another expensive ticket or that I would have to sit in Bangkok (possibly in flood water) without the accommodations I was originally guaranteed. We are only given accommodations and food when in training and during our teaching contract. When doing neither, I would have to pay for a hotel and food for three weeks (it’s cheaper than most places but it adds up). I also would lose almost a month of teaching experience and salary. This was definitely not what I wanted. And from my knowledge, the training center was not affected by the flood.
I wanted to know if this November 28th start date was given to the other teachers that were training with me. So I emailed the director and asked her this specific question, among many other questions regarding the flood. After a couple days, she responded by repeating what she stated in her last email and vaguely describing the flood situation. She didn’t answer most of my questions though and I still don’t know if others were given this same start date. I don’t want to be training by myself. Despite my whole independence surge, I was still hoping to make friends. I emailed her again. This time, I asked her the same question four different times within the email “Was this start date given to other teachers?” I also asked her to ignore any of my parents’ past or future emails since this wasn’t their trip. She didn’t respond to my email for another couple of days and when she did, again, she didn’t answer my question.
I was so mad at my parents. I couldn’t believe that they did this to me so I ignored their calls for days. They bothered my director, causing her to take me off the original start date. I was also upset with the director for taking directions from my parents when I was the one participating in the teaching program. She didn’t even get my consent before making a decision. After emailing her, once again, she responded by saying that I can choose the November 7th start date again once they review the situation on the November 2nd, still not answering my original and reoccurring question. Note: My only way of communicating with the director is through email or gchat. She is located in Thailand and doesn’t have a phone number on record. Also, I think there is a tremendous language barrier. She couldn’t seem to understand my questions and I could not understand a great amount of her responses.
After another day or so, I finally found the director on gchat. I immediately asked her the same question: “Was the November 28th start date given to other teachers?” Finally, she responded by letting me know that other teachers were given this state date. A sense of relief overcame me. Other teachers were in the same unfortunate position as I was. Oh man! I felt so bad for ragging on my parents this whole time. It wasn’t my parents fault. I still don’t think they should’ve gone behind my back and contacted the director but this change wasn’t their doing.
What’s even worse about this whole situation is I haven’t even showed any concern for those who were and are still affected by the flood in Thailand. I was more concerned about my arrival date and salary. And during my superficial worries, others are losing their homes and some their lives. Hopefully, I’ll be doing some good out there soon enough.
Here is some background knowledge of the flood:
They consider this flood to be the worst in Thailand in the last several years. The flood originated from the overflowing of several rivers in Thailand. The flood began at the end of July; during the start of Thailand’s monsoon season (rainy season is usually around August to October). The Thai government did not expect the flood to grow or even get as bad as it turned out. Most of the dams and canals have overflowed and they do not expect the flood barriers to hold out any longer.
Almost 500 people have died so far. Thousands have encountered severe damage to their homes and have even lost their homes. The important industrial estates in Thailand, including tech industries, have taken a hit as most of their centers have been inundated. The flood has affected most of Central Thailand but has even reached down to lower provinces such as Bangkok. Twenty percent of Bangkok is now underwater. Some believe that Bangkok is a falling city. This city, mainly built upon swampland, is said to be underwater within the next hundred years due to the effects of global warming.
Since the water has receded (slightly) and have fallen almost knee-deep, people have begun to clean up. There has been too much damage already. Homes and belongings have been destroyed and will have long-term consequences. Water-borne diseases have been more prevalent as well. The damage is said to be around 160 billion baht (5 million USD). Even with financial and volunteer support, it is said to be a long while before Thailand get back to its original state.
Pictures:
![]() |
| People are stocking up on food and supplies at the SiMumMuang market in Rangsit. |
![]() |
| Woman paddling by a school in the Bang Kruai district. She is using a cement mixing tub as a boat. |
![]() |
| Garbage floating on a road in Pathum Thani. Imagine the bacteria and disease. Yuck! |
![]() |
| This one I just thought was funny! This looks really uncomfortable. |
The next email from the director stated that they’ve decided that all teachers were going to start on the November 28th date instead of the 7th because of flood concerns, so we had to make plans accordingly. After apologizing to my parents for my frantic and dramatic behavior, I tried to figure out my next step. What am I going to do for 3 weeks? I just quit my job (Oh yea!), I’ve already mentally prepared for this trip, my bags are almost packed, and I have a plane that will be leaving on the 5th to arrive in Bangkok on the 6th. I could stay in town for a couple of weeks and hang out with my friends? I could stay up north (my hometown) with my parents? No, I wouldn’t be able to work and make money, I wouldn’t really have too much to do, and all the excitement I’ve generated for this trip will soon fade.
I started thinking that maybe I could travel during the three weeks. Instead of waiting here in town, with my parents, or in Bangkok with the flood, I could instead travel around Asia. I do have a 10 country minimum goal for this trip. So two days before I leave the country, I am now making plans to visit Japan, South Korea, China, and Taiwan before I land in Bangkok on the 28th.
My first stop will be Japan. I will travel there for 7 days and I might join a tour, if still possible at this time. Next, I will travel to South Korea and meet up with my friend, Seung. Don’t know what type of accommodations I’ll have but I will search for some when I’m there. Seung also knows Seoul pretty well and he said he’ll take me around the city. After I will be in China to visit Beijing, Shanghai, and the Terra Cotta soldiers! I hopefully will be able to sneak into Mongolia for a quick visit. And lastly, I will visit Taiwan. I have family in Taiwan but this trip isn’t for me to be comfortable. So I won’t be staying with them. I am determined to find my own place for a couple of days, visit my family (maybe hand off some of my luggage), and hang out with my friend Connie (who is also teaching oversees).
I heard Japan and Korea is pretty cold at this time of year. Now I have to pack for both winter and summer. That’s a lot more clothes than I expected. Arg! I was so excited to skip winter.
We’ll see if spontaneity really works with me. Let’s see what happens!




No comments:
Post a Comment