I was given a schedule a couple days ago. I teach about 4-6 classes each day. The rest of the hours are planning periods. I liked my schedule. It gives me a lot of late mornings. On most days, my first period was a planning one, allowing me to have more time to set up or just mentally prepare. After settling into my new desk in the teacher’s office, I was ready to put good use into my planning period.
Then I was given a new schedule. Not only were my classes in a different order but new classes were added to my schedule. For example, I found out I’m teaching an English class in 20 minutes. I didn’t have this English class before. I wasn’t supposed to teach the 12th graders English. I didn’t prepare for this yet. What was that other schedule they gave me then? I asked the school administration about this new class and if there were any books in the class’ curriculum. They told me they didn’t know and that I should just have conversations with them in English. Bewildered by the lack of communication and knowledge, I quickly put together an English skills activity. This chaotic and unorganized system ended up being the theme of the day (and later the semester).
Then I was given a new schedule. Not only were my classes in a different order but new classes were added to my schedule. For example, I found out I’m teaching an English class in 20 minutes. I didn’t have this English class before. I wasn’t supposed to teach the 12th graders English. I didn’t prepare for this yet. What was that other schedule they gave me then? I asked the school administration about this new class and if there were any books in the class’ curriculum. They told me they didn’t know and that I should just have conversations with them in English. Bewildered by the lack of communication and knowledge, I quickly put together an English skills activity. This chaotic and unorganized system ended up being the theme of the day (and later the semester).
Just like the States, teachers don’t get paid too well. However, native English speaking teachers are high in demand, especially in private schools and parent funded English Programs like this one. An average Thai teacher gets paid around 10,000-20,000 ฿ a month. Foreign teachers usually get a start pay of 30,000 to possibly 50,000 ฿. It can then progress after some time and experience. They say that the Thai teachers are very sensitive about their low salary so they become covertly hostile towards foreign teachers. Some will avoid you or speak badly about you behind your back. But they will smile to your face. It is the land of smiles nonetheless.
Exhausted. This as a tiring first day. Schedule changes, quick adjusting, name learning, subject learning. I wasn’t formally or informally introduced to the school, administration, or teachers. No one showed us our rooms or the teacher’s lounge. It was all a matter of trial and error. You walk into one classroom and ask the student how old they are. Realize your mistake, move on to the next couple classrooms until you find the right one. Process of elimination. The Thai history classes were the most difficult to get through. Trying to pronounce some of those names and asking the students to help me was demoralizing to an extent. I just gave out a bunch of pre-tests. This not only helped me figure out their level and knowledge but it gave me some time to organize my thoughts and plans for the rest of the semester. Or so I thought.
| The English Program building |
No comments:
Post a Comment