December 11, 2011
Remember when I said I teaching Thai history. I wasn’t kidding. That’s why I need to study before I start teaching in a couple of days. I have been meeting with my advisor for the last couple of days. She has been pumping as much Thai history into my head. But I needed more. I decided to go visit the Museum of Siam on my day off, hoping to absorb more valuable and crucial information of my class subject. And Bobby, who is a history and anthropological enthusiast, joined along with me.
To get anywhere in Bangkok it takes several modes of transportation. In order to get to Central Bangkok of the Ratthanakosin District, we usually take a bus, tuk-tuk, the subway, and two different trains. Then we walk the rest of the way. This time, we noticed that traffic was a lot worse than normal. We could not seem to catch a bus. But it didn’t look worth it taking one since traffic was completely stopped. Instead, we decided to walk to the train station.
| Soi Ramkhamhaeng traffic at all times of the day. |
Apartment Shopping. After visiting the Museum of Siam, it was time to buy things for my new apartment.
Big C. Thailand’s most accessible and widespread department store is Big C. You can find Big C’s on almost every block. It is similar to how available and convenient Target is in our community. Big C’s usually are several stories high, selling an assortment of cellphones, home goods, grocery food, clothes, electronics, and vendor type products (cheap clothes and downloaded movies). This is the main place to go if you need anything. And most of its products aren’t badly priced.
I didn’t need too much though. Though I brought a lot in my hefty luggage, I actually did not bring a lot of clothes. I brought a lot of things with me as if I were going to be living in the wilderness for the next year: a year’s supply of medicine, contacts, batteries, bug repellent, books, and more.
My Shopping List of Household Essentials—
Electric Kettle. I absolutely adore tea. Since I don’t have a stove top, I needed an electric kettle in order to brew my own fresh pot. Now, all I need a tea pot, tea, and the ‘pee pee boy’ I left in Taiwan.
Bedding. Finding bedding was the most frustrating of the entire shopping experience. I have a queen five by five sized bed. I thought it would be easy to find bedding for this size at Big C. But it wasn’t. I guess kings and twins are more common as the queens section was one fourth as big as the other two. I was hoping to find a set of pillow cases, sheets, and a light comfortable for under 1,000 ฿. But because of the lack of demand for queen sized bedding, there weren’t any. I had to buy each and every bedding piece separately, which becomes extremely expensive since bedding is particular costly. Sheets alone were 600 or 700 ฿. Comforters were 800-1000 ฿. Pillows were 200-400 ฿. Pillow cases were pretty inexpensive at around 100 ฿. Buying the bedding separately was going take out more than one fifteenth of a paycheck I haven’t yet even received. Oddly enough, solid colored bedding cost more than patterned. I think Bobby and I were in this section for over an hour. After finding out queen sizes weren’t popular, I gave up and just picked the cheapest of each item. It will have to do.
Others. A small table (to eat or work on), a plastic chair, a towel, cleaning supplies, bathing necessities, basic dinning ware (one set of utensils and cups), and hangers were really all I needed. I know that sounds like a lot but I’m furnishing an entire apartment—a tiny, already furnished apartment! Eh, maybe I am going too far.
After bringing all my bags of goodies home, I thoroughly cleaned and scrubbed my house until it was shiny and new. I unpacked my belongings, did my laundry, and organized my new home to a most comfortable feel. Finally, it's over. I'm settled.
| Me, roughing it in Thailand. I swear, it's a lot smaller than it appears. |
| The itsy bitsy bathroom |
No comments:
Post a Comment